When I realized I loved you
it was not romantic
Not flush with pink roses & wine
but rather normal
Rather standing in line at CVS
clutching a four pack of peanut butter cups
& cold medicine
It was a quiet realization
Like checking the weather I was currently standing in
"Huh. It’s a bit warmer
than I would have guessed.”
Raising awareness to body diversity with “disabled” mannequins.
Pro Infirmis, a Swiss charity organization for people with disabilities, has created a series of mannequins that reflect bodies of people with physical disabilities for a project titled, “Because Who is Perfect? Get Closer.” The process of measuring the bodies of 5 people and sculpting the mannequins was captured by director Alain Gspone in this moving 4 minute film. The reactions of each person upon seeing their mannequin are also captured, with one woman remarking, “It’s special to see yourself like this, when you usually can’t look at yourself in the mirror.” For people not used to seeing reflections of their body types in the commercial world, these new mannequins create an empowering experience by providing a platform of visibility in an industry that so often neglects to represent the diversity of bodies.
After the mannequins were created, they were placed in Zurich store fronts, on a popular downtown shopping street, Bahnhofstrasse, in honor of International Day of Persons with Disabilities. The video shows a range reactions of people as they walk by the store front, captivated by these new mannequins.
Through this project, Pro Infirmis wishes to raise awareness of the lack of representation of people with disabilities, especially in the world of fashion and retail. You can find more photos and information about the project on Photopress.
I think I’ve seen some discussion of this campaign before on here but would love to hear what people think of it. Good? Bad? A move in the right direction? Patronising?
RAMI KADI Le Royaume Enchanté Collection
John William Godward,A Congenial Task (Detail) 1915.
1. Women Delivering Ice, 1918
2. Times Square, 1947
3. Portrait Used to Design the Penny. President Lincoln Meets General McClellan – Antietam, Maryland ca September 1862
4. Marilyn Monroe, 1957
5. Newspaper boy Ned Parfett sells copies of the evening paper bearing news of Titanic’s sinking the night before. (April 16, 1912)
6. Easter Eggs for Hitler, c 1944-1945
7. Sergeant George Camblair practicing with a gas mask in a smokescreen – Fort Belvoir, Virginia, 1942
8. Helen Keller meeting Charlie Chaplin in 1919
9. Painting WWII Propaganda Posters, Port Washington, New York – 8 July 1942
10. Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge ca 1935
See the rest here: http://noarmycanstopanidea.com/20-historic-black-and-white-pictures-restored-in-color/
things to say if someone asks why you are so quiet
- "i don’t have much to say"
- (shrug with a smile)
- "i like listening"
- (with clenched teeth) “there are wasps in my mouth”